Heidelberg is a fairly small town with lots of cute touristy things. In my opinion, there isn't loads of things to do here, but there's lots of things to just look at.
I think the first day we spent wandering around. We wanted to go to the castle, but upon realizing that we had both forgotten our cameras, we opted to do less photogenic activities. The castle had a lot of nice views, I had trouble picking the one to post here.
The castle ruins were also cool
In the castle garden, we saw a woman with a cat on a leash. The cat look absolutely ecstatic to be at the castle, and the woman looked equally happy to be with her cat. I hope I can be that person someday.
We also went to the Studentenkarzer. Apparently back in the old days, the university had legal jurisdiction over their students. Basically, this means when the students were arrested for being hooligans, they were thrown in a university jail. After a while, this became a rite of passage for students. They would draw on the walls with old stuff from candles and eventually started to bring their own paint. They were allowed to roam freely throughout the Karzer and there was even a door that allowed them to attend lecture. They simply were not allowed to leave the building. There were lots of silly poems and I found the German somewhat hard to read because it was all old. For example, they spell the word Karzer as Carcer, and so on. Apparently my mom looked at these pictures without any context and thought they were somewhat creepy. Trust me, these people were loving every minute of their graffiti-making.
We also climbed up Philosophenweg, which more or less provided more pretty views.
I also booked my tickets to Budapest and have some trips planned to Dresden and Amsterdam to visit friends! Hopefully more fun posts will come soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment