Sunday, June 10, 2012

Fahrrad Abenteuer

Germans ride bikes.  It's just what they do.  However, in the US, I grew up in a not-so-compact midwestern city with no sidewalks or bike lanes.  Because of this, I haven't ridden a bike since I was 12 and I have been pretty scared to try again.  My program bought me a semesterticket, so I figured I could get by easy enough by just riding the buses and trams around.  I admitted this to someone a long while back and he offered to let me try riding his.  However, I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of a guy I had just met, so I declined.  Later, my Deutscher BFF told me to try riding his.  It was just as embarrassing as expected.  I couldn't really get the bike going and I actually ended up falling off.  My Deutsche BFFin told me it was because 1) BFF is slightly taller than me, probably just enough to make the bike difficult to ride and 2) a women's bicycle might be easier for me.  Deutsche BFFin's mom lives in a nearby city, so she owns two bikes, one for each city.  She offered to bring her second bike to Heidelberg so that we could give it a try.  Reluctantly, I agreed.

It turned out she was right.  I love bike riding now.  Even though riding a bike on my own is terrifying, I want my own bike, I never want to step foot on the bus again.  For this reason, we decided to go on a Bike-Adventure yesterday.  We took a trip to nearby Ladenburg, which is your typical picturesque German city.  There's even some old ruins from the Romans there.  After a short break in Ladenburg, we decided to go exploring.  This wound up with us on a big scary busy road where I was convinced I was going to die in a car-bike crash.  However, when we finally found another side road, we found some friendly goats.  I made friends with a pregnant one.


Seriously, check out that belly



My Deutsche BFFin made friends with a big one who liked to show off his tree-eating skills


He's awesome and he knows it


I made friends with some goats and didn't get injured, so I will call this Fahrrad Abenteuer a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment