Friday, June 29, 2012

What I learned in Germany

1)  You don't need to be fully clothed to chill in your room with the windows wide open (Once German summer finally came and I was forced to choose between modesty and sweating to death, this fact became terribly clear).

2) How to stop worrying and love the bicycle.

3) Germanisms.  Lots and lots of Germanisms....

4) How to live my life in a constant state of awkward and still succeed.

5) German.  I came here thinking my minor would make me a pro and I was so wrong.  It was such a humbling experience, especially now when I think of how much better my German has gotten.  My speech is has often become full of little Easter eggs for my German friends and colleagues.  Something about an American using phrases like "Schlag mich tot" and "Ich weiß net"is very shocking for them.  There was also a time in my life where I was convinced I would never be able to pronounce a ch or an r and even there I have proven myself (semi-)wrong.

6) That I have secretly loved soccer all along.

7) The importance of Frische Luft.

8) Without bubbles, water just doesn't taste right.

9) How to take criticism and scolding gracefully.

10) How terrible Taco Bell withdrawals can truly be.

No comments:

Post a Comment