Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Dresden

Through a series of Very Good Luck, I was able to visit Dresden this last weekend!  As hopefully every one reading this is aware, I'm currently on an exchange program in Germany (if you didn't know that, I really have nothing I can say that will help you at this point...).  My friend from grade school (1st grade!!) also happens to be here on another program and lives in Dresden.  I also happen to have a German friend who was born in Dresden and lived there for 14 years, whose mom was planning a trip to Dresden last weekend and they offered to let me tag along in their car.  I also was lucky enough to get to see two of my favorite PPPlers who happen to be in the area.
Dresden is a very pretty city.  It's extremely rebuilt, but it looks like people made a good effort to stay true to the nice architecture they had going on.  For example, here's a picture of the Frauenkirche, which was just finished in 2006.
There's also some remnants of their communist past.  Like this huge mural 
We also found a strange statue or two, like this one
Please note that amid all the other craziness going on here, there is a pig pooping on the bottom left.  What is this?  Why is this here?  What does it mean?  I have no idea...

Dresden is also home to one of the oldest Christmas Markets.  The market has been going on since 1434 (Your market may be older than the USA, Germany, but I am older than your unified country!).  I took quite a few pictures of the Christmas Market, because I hear my grandpa is really into German Christmas traditions, but I'm only going to post a couple here.

Another nice thing about my friend's timing of this trip, was that last week was Thanksgiving in the US. Thanksgiving is probably my least favorite holiday, due to dietary restrictions and family history, but it was still nice to be able to celebrate with someone I have known so long.  It was also my first time actually cooking a Thanksgiving dinner.  My friend and I spent 6-7 hours cooking for a group of 11 people.  I think the end result was good.  I was super proud of the apple pie that I made
We also found cranberries at an Asian market.  Something special from my not-quite-home-state!
I hear our turkey turned out ok, even though vegetarian-me did a decent amount of the spice-mixing.  
We also made stuffing, mashed potatoes, and corn, which is actually stuff I can eat!
My friend & I both agreed that this is the most home-made Thanksgiving either of us had ever had.  Since Germany really doesn't have any of the pre-made stuff, everything was DIY.  

This weekend I am traveling to Amsterdam with some friends.  I feel like I am becoming a person who is chronically unterwegs.


No comments:

Post a Comment