Thursday, December 15, 2011

Speyer

I know I said in my last post that I'm not in Germany to travel, but I do go places when the opportunity presents itself.  This Saturday, I went on a short day-trip to Speyer sponsored by the organization which administers our program.  I always knew in the back of my mind that there were other stipend-recipients who were covered under GIZ, but this is the first time I got to meet any of them.  It sort of felt like being back at the CDC again.  Very few people there had a common language, so we were forced to speak in a combination of German and English (when the German failed) to understand each other.  We went on a short walking tour of the city, but I don't really remember much of the information from the walking tour.  I know that we went to some sort of "statue park".  I'm not quite sure why they call it that, because unlike Memento Park in Budapest, there weren't a lot of statues.  In fact, it looked a lot like a parking lot with 3 statues randomly put around it.  Here's one of them
Afterwards, we went to the former Jewish Quarter, where a small museum has been set up.  The old mikveh is still preserved there.  
Which is actually not a good place for a swim.  Just kidding.

Afterwards, we went to the church for a brief visit and then on to lunch and the Christmas Market.  Not quite as exciting as my last couple trips, but I like having downtime again!  

No comments:

Post a Comment