Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Opera & the Ford Plant

So far, Cologne has been the biggest city that I have lived in and apparently big cities mean being cultured. With that in mind, we decided to go see Krieg und Frieden, which was only 5,50 euro for students.  The opera was in Russian/French with German surtitles, so unlike my friend over in Budapest, who saw an opera in Italian with Hungarian surtitles, I did not have to be doubly confused by an opera I did not understand.
Over all I thought the opera was good and interesting.  I remember in the first portion of the opera there was a very strange scene on a couch between between Anatole and Natasha, where I wasn't quite sure whether they were having sex or what.  During the intermission, I announced to the other people with me that I thought they were, it just wasn't some you could show on stage.  Saying this definitely jinxed me. (TW)  Immediately after intermission, there was a scene where the French soldiers chase down a Russian girl, tear off her clothes and rape her.  On stage.  Yikes.

Other than the opera, we also took a trip to the largest Ford plant in Europe.  I thought that trip was funny, because Ford is an American company and here I am in Germany touring their plant.  I would show pictures, but I wasn't really allowed to take them, so I pretty much have none.  It was sort of cool though.  Our tour guide drove us around the plant in this little train-thing and we wore safety goggles and watched all the robots make cars.  There were speakers in our train/tram-thing, but I still really couldn't hear our tour guide over the machines, but he spoke in PAINFULLY slow German, so I'm sure I could've understood him if I could hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment