I went to Oberwesel this weekend to see Rhein in Flammen, which was amazing and I will soon post an update describing it. However I felt more inclined to discuss the masses of people (Ok well... 6 or 7 people...) who seem to think I'm a good person to ask for directions. While I suppose I am legally a Kölnerin, I am certainly one of the last Kölner you would want to talk to about this stuff.
Maybe I just always really look where I'm going.
Maybe it's because I don't have a skateboard and seem unlikely to carry spray paint.
Maybe I just look really friendly and approachable.
Whatever it is, it happens. Normally the questions are simple and easy to answer. ("How do I get to the Hauptbahnhof from here?" "Does Linien 12 go to Friesenplatz?" "Can you help me buy a ticket to the airport?" etc.) but on 2 occasions, people have stopped me on the street asking for directions to random restaurants that I have never heard of. I remember one lady immediately knew what kind of mistake she had made the minute she heard my accent.
However, yesterday I was waiting for my Ubahn dressed in my jeans and an Iowa Football t-shirt, when suddenly a woman started speaking in terribly fast German to me. I could gather that she wanted to buy a ticket for the Ubahn, but that the machine was giving her some form of trouble. I was standing completely in shock unsure what to say. I ended up telling her that I was learning German and that I could help her with the ticket machine, but she would need to speak a little more clearly. (It turned out that the machine was totally broken). That evening I was baking a cake with my host mom and asked her why Germans would want to approach someone in clearly American clothes for directions. She said Germans probably think I just really like America and picked up my Iowa Football shirt in a random H&M or something. It made me laugh that I've been wandering around Germany with Germans thinking I'm some sort of American weeaboo or imposter or something. Perhaps I need to carry a sign.
EDIT: I talked with some other Americans in the program, and apparently H&M here really does sell fake American football t-shirts. You can walk in the store and buy some shirt that says NORTHEASTERN MINNESOTA UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL or something. So Germans probably really can't tell that my Iowa Football t-shirt was actually purchased in Iowa City.
No comments:
Post a Comment