Saturday, February 11, 2012

Der Schwarzwald

On Wednesday February 1, I woke up and was getting ready for my first day of internship when I got an urgent phone call from my regional representative.  There's been some drama getting my contract renewed for my place in Heidelberg, so I expected to hear "You're getting evicted" or something like that.  It turns out what was so "urgent" was that she had forgotten to tell me about a trip to the Schwarzwald that was happening the coming Sunday.  My friends will often hear me talking about "Mein Scheißdeutsches Leben", but really I only use the term "Scheiß" for things I want to pretend to dislike.  This is another one of those situations.  Only in Germany would a one-day trip to the Schwarzwald warrant an "urgent phone call".  

The trip was probably subsidized by my program, since I only paid six euro and got a round-trip bus ride, a coffee and a Black Forest Cherry Cake, and a tour of the Schwarzwald Museum.  The museum was super small and didn't really have any placards for any of its stuff.  The tour also only made about four stops, so I didn't really learn that much.  However, I did see lots of clocks


Afterwards, we walked to a cafe, where we all got our cakes and were given a demonstration of the cake-making process.


That is me and my Black Forest Cherry Cake.  I am very tired from waking up at 6:30am and mentally preparing myself for sledding in the -9 Celsius weather in this picture.  Little did I know, I was about to be accidentally hit in the face with a dirty snowball shortly after this picture was taken.  

After our cake it was time to go sledding.  I hadn't been sledding in what feels like forever, so I was honestly a little scared!  It was a lot of fun and I got pretty much covered in snow.  I don't have any pictures, because I wanted to protect my camera, but here is the hill we sledded on.  


I also wish I had gotten to see more of the Schwarzwald.  It seems like a really pretty area, but I didn't really get to see too much, except what I saw out the window of the bus and the short walk between the museum and cafe.


The trip was still definitely worth the 6 euro I paid to go on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment