Saturday, August 6, 2011

Finally a post from Germany

I've managed to arrive in Germany.  We spent 2 days in a city called Eppstein.  I was oddly excited to have my own bedroom so I could call people/sleep in peace on my first day in Germany.  Our accommodations for our German orientation were SUPER nice.

I slept maybe an hour or two on the plane.  There were these 4 loud kids in front of me who were throwing things and kicking the whole flight, so that prevented most sleep I would've gotten.  When we got to Germany, they were really adamant that by keeping us up all day, they would force us out of jetlag.  This was probably true, but definitely miserable.  They planned some trip to these castle ruins for us to help us stay awake  They told us there would be a "surprise tour guide", which I assumed would be some random person making a joke that you would have to be German to understand.  However, when I went to the castle, it turned out our tour guide was this guy: 
Sweet outfit, right?  The castle was cool too.  I don't remember much of the tour. 
We only spent a night there before being taken to our language school.  Apparently the host family I was originally assigned to wanted a boy or something, so I got switched host families at the last minute, which is ok, because I like my current host family.  We had a walking tour of Köln with our tutor today where I saw the Dom
and also some random mural in protest of corporate Germany or something.  
I guess the towers have the names of corporations and the graves are organizations that put on cultural events.  I have no clue wtf that banana is doing there though.  




1 comment:

  1. The banana looks like something that someone added after the fact....hmmm. But I'm jealous of your surprise tour guide, he's way cooler looking than any of mine were

    ReplyDelete